Friday, October 28, 2011

Give Thanks

I have to admit, now that we're this close to Halloween I'm ready to begin thinking about Thanksgiving.  This post is part one of two I have planned.  I needed some sort of framed art and now that Hobby Lobby has just opened in our area, I knew I'd get some inspiration from walking through the aisles.  Can I just give a huge shout-out to Hobby Lobby...totally Michael's and Joann's on steroids.

Not long ago I gave canvas art a try.  When I purchased the canvas squares, they came in a pack of 7 so I had some extras.  I knew somewhere....somehow I'd use them up.  

Here are the materials I started with:






I began by spray painting the canvas.  I went to the cupboard to pull out Rustoleum's Espresso, but I didn't have it.  I did have a "hammered metal" can in there so I used that.  The canvas actually ended up with a very smooth finish.  The next step was to adhere the scrapbook paper to the canvas.  I (very carefully) added Elmer's glue to the back of the paper and made my way around the edges.  All was good until I reached the 3rd side and I began to get some buckling in the paper (see below.)  I worked with the paper and eventually got it looking pretty good, but not perfect.


After realizing that the edges wouldn't lay completely flat I decided that I would put some ribbon along the edges of the paper.  Then, to mask the corners I applied some silk flowers.  I picked out "Give Thanks" from the wooden letters and painted them the burnt sienna color.  I used hot glue to attach everything and called it a night.



Stay tuned to find out how this is going to be tied in to part II of my Thanksgiving idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment