Sunday, July 15, 2012

Goodbye Red Wall

The best part about paint is that in a matter of hours, a room or accent wall can be transformed. 

We have had the wall above the fireplace a deep red for quite some time.  I have enjoyed having it such a rich color, but was ready for a change.  I wanted something brighter, crisper, cleaner-looking.  So many of the blogs I follow feature such bright "cool" colors that I like.  However, our entire home is full of "warm" colors and I am not about to change everything.

I pulled out my paint swatches and searched for a color that would go with our taupe-beige-tan surrounding walls.  I decided on a "butter" color...bright, clean-looking, and a color that would blend with the rest of our home.

In addition to the wall, I also painted our mantel.  If I was able to, I'd knock the entire thing out and put something with more flair and style, but not now.  Another day...another day.

The mantel was white.  I gave it a light sanding, primed it, and painted it dark brown.  It looks better in contrast to the butter color than a white mantel would have.

Here is a picture of what the wall/mantel looked like before painting it.


The ceiling in this room is vaulted and above the red wall is a plate rack that I display some silk flowers on.
 

Drum roll please....the "Butter" wall and brown mantel.  I also did a bit of rearranging with the decor on the mantel.  Obviously the owls don't pop out as much so I will be hunting for something to put there in place of them.


I replaced the flowers in the vases above the mirror with roses.












No comments:

Post a Comment